Wednesday, October 07, 2009

What Goes Around...



I picked up and quickly read this book last week - The Go-Giver - a modern fable on prosperity told in the context of a modern day Joe Salesman in search of the secrets that will help him hit his monthly quotas with ease and aplomb.

It's an engaging read and a great reminder that, when it comes to true success, putting others needs ahead of your own really works. Obviously, the principles covered apply to life in general - not just business life.

There are 5 Laws of Stratospheric Success brought to life through the story, one of which is the Law of Receptivity. While you must give, it is also essential to receive. One does not exist without the other. Do not resist the gifts others offer (whatever form they take) - it's potentially insulting, arrogant and, at the least, stops the natural flow of things.

This came to life for me the other day at my bank of all places. I had the occasion to be a good samaritan 2 weeks in a row - both times picking up something in the parking lot that another customer had presumably dropped / lost. The first week was a bluetooth headset. The second week was a bank deposit bag full of cash and checks (I only know this from the weight and the fact that the bank staff opened it when I brought it inside). I was struck more by the crazy coincidence of stumbling upon lost goods in the bank parking lot 2 weeks in a row than by any dilemma over whether I should turn them in. Who wouldn't? (Besides, aren't there cameras all over the place??;-)

I went back to the bank a couple of days ago (just to see what I might find in the parking lot!) to cash a check. The teller handed me an envelope with my name on it and inside was a reward check with the words "for your honesty" written on the memo line. Wow. Thanks. But. Um. I'm not sure how I feel about being rewarded for my honesty. Isn't that pretty much "cost of entry" for living a decent life? (I know, we all lie occasionally).

Anyway, I swallowed my protestations and cashed the check - graciously accepting the gifts that were bestowed upon me.

Onward!