Tuesday, January 05, 2010

I love Anthropologie.

There. I said it.

There's almost nothing in the store for me, but I love shopping it. Their "stuff," their product mix, their merchandising... the color, the texture, the illusion of discovery... it feels just the slightest bit like I'm roaming a flea market - albeit a wealthy suburban one - in France. Of course, it's probably not even close, but given that I'm really just Christmas shopping in some mall store, well, not a bad trick.


Of all the shops I shopped this year, these guys had more merch than anybody else (except the big department stores). And when I stopped in after xmas, well, have you ever been to Filene's basement (rip)? They (Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie) have done a sweet job of creating an array of in-house brands. I'm sure many are coming out of the same factory, but it doesn't matter. The naming conventions, the typography, all hyper-styled to be totally lo-fi, is a total ruse - but I don't care. It's way cheaper than a flight to Paris.